maanantai 23. marraskuuta 2015

Vodka Balalaika Tour @ Bar Loose, Helsinki 19.11.2015

I also witnessed the show in Hyvinkää, but decided to mainly write about the show in Helsinki. Thanks for the great boogie in both towns, guys!

Muun Muassa JPTH

I'm becoming more and more convinced that long and complicated band names are a thing in Finland nowadays. Luckily their music wasn't too complicated but rather fun and groovy I'd say! I was already familiar with a few of their songs, but this is one of those bands that sounds soooo much better live than on record. I was really impressed by their positive energy and especially the beatboxing, that was just siiiiick and made the songs sound really fresh and original. Beatboxing is so heavily associated with hiphop that most people probably wouldn't even think of combining it with music that's a bit more traditional.


This band definitely needs and deserves more hype, I can't think of any other Finnish band with the same kind of approach to music. Such an entertaining and fun group! Also, if we were giving fashion points that denim jumpsuit would totally get my vote.

Tiisu

Ah yes, my reason for being there (or anywhere this autumn really, as some of you might have already noticed).


Anyway. It was actually quite refreshing to experience a gig that was shorter than usual, but somehow much more intensive in nature. By "more intensive" I mean that there was only one ballad included, hah. Of course ballads have their own place in the world and they are needed, but sometimes it's just so much more satisfying to mindlessly dance and bang your head for 40 minutes like it was your last night on Earth. The crowd seemed to be full of very like-minded people and there was great energy from start to finish. Such awesomeness.


There was no denying that they were the most anticipated band on the tour (on the first two nights at least, I have no idea what happened or didn't happen in Vaasa), you would have to be blind not to have seen it. Their fame level could have been exploited more wisely in order to benefit the other bands though, because I'm pretty sure people would have arrived early and stayed until the very end if Tiisu had been the last band of the night. I do understand that the main idea behind this tour was to bring Stepanov's Starlings over here, but I would bet my right kidney that they would have gotten more exposure if the playing order had been different.

Stepanov's Starlings (RUS)

My knowledge on Russian music is very much restricted to Tchaikovsky, t.A.T.u. and that dude who had a figure skater on stage in the Eurovision Song Contest like ten years ago, so I took this tour as an opportonity to broaden my horizons. I had listened to a few of their songs songs on Youtube beforehand but that was about it, I figured I might just as well let the live boogie do the talking.


Their fashion choices were quite interesting, but if your music is a bit wonky I guess you have to look the part, right? The first two songs of the set were damn tight, I absolutely loved them! There's nothing better than a really fat and catchy beat that makes you just want to jump around like a bunny. I'm usually all about lyrics and can't really fully get into the music if I have no idea what a song is about, but this time it didn't matter all that much. I kind of even wished that all the songs would have been sung in Russian, because then the lyrics would have matched the craziness of the music better. However, after a great start something happened and everything just got a little... flat. There was too much talking and explaining going on in the middle of the show and the little story that was included in one of the songs was just way too long. I liked the sit-down-and-then-jump-back-up part, but the loooong talk before it was rather dull. So yeah, cut down on the talking a bit and just play please! Luckily the songs improved towards the end of the show and my spirits got lifted as well. I was actually even familiar with the last song, which was nice. I really liked the show, it's not something you see every day and they kind of reminded me of the British band Skindred.

All in all, it was a fun little tour. I thought there was a great balance between the three bands although their musical styles and/or genres differ quite a lot in the end. I've seen loads and loads of gigs where the support and main acts differ from each other so significantly that a huge part of the audience feels alienated and it's often the support act that suffers most from the audience's lack of enthusiasm. These three, however, were an awesome combination despite of the differences. You rarely see such a well-constructed line-up and that's why I felt a bit gutted when the majority of people sneaked off after Tiisu. I had a hunch that something like that would happen but the scale of it surprised me. Not so much in Hyvinkää, but Helsinki...? Sure, it was Thursday night but it's not a proper fucking excuse in a big city like that and it wasn't even that late yet. I'm not saying that everybody should like a certain band but you should at least give them a chance and then leave if it's not your cup of tea.

As I said previously, maybe Tiisu would have done everybody a favor by being the headliner on this tour. That would have probably divided the crowd more evenly between all three bands and stopped people from going home too early.

- juoksepoistytto

Blimey, we are also on Facebook and Instagram !!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti